Sunday, December 14, 2008

Church on Sunday: Lee Chapel


Lee Chapel, seen through the columns of Newcomb Hall on the Washington and Lee campus.

Robert E. Lee requested the design of this chapel, and it was built during his tenure as president. After his death, he was buried beneath it. The building now hosts university events (a Christmas service of Lessons and Carols was sung there last week), as well as many a W&L wedding. Next year I'll have to get a summer shot of an afternoon wedding party, with the sun lighting the facade. I've found that the sun can't quite reach the front of the chapel this time of year.

The mountains you see in the background are the beautiful Blue Ridge.

Lee's funeral was one of the memorable events in Lexington history. See an 1870 photo of mourners lined up outside the chapel, here.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like how you shot Lee Chapel through the white columns. Great composition!

Tanya Breese said...

I'm with JM...well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm with JM and Tanya! Beautiful pic:)

I am glad you enjoyed my pohutakawa's. Funny that you mentioned crepe myrtle. I just found out yesterday that Pohutakawa's are from the Myrtle family. You may just be in luck finding that colour!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C5%8Dhutukawa

Rosie said...

This is a great post. I am not sure which picture I like more, the older one or if the one you took... they are both amazing...

stromsjo said...

...and I'm with everyone (does this get boring? ;)

Sure looks like a nice place for a wedding.

Fio said...

Thank you very much for visiting my blog and such nice comments. I'm just watching your photos. Lexington feels so cosy... such different from Gliwice :)
Greetings!

D said...

Wow, what a great photo and post. I love the history! Your blog and town are beautiful.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. :)

Benjamin Madison said...

Beautiful photo and very interesting text. Thanks.

Ken Mac said...

beautiful.